Non Non Biyori is a great anime series and regardless of whether you read this article or not you should really watch it; you can do so here. When I heard that NNB was going to be getting a second season, which will be finishing up next Monday, I was quite excited as it is nearly the quintessential slice-of-life show (author note: some hyperbole). It also manages to be one of the few shows I have ever watch in any medium with most episodes containing zero dialogue from male characters. The only recurring male character, the ninth grader Koshigaya Suguru, is never given any lines and there are only two other times in all 24 episodes that I can recall a man saying anything.
Mostly we follow the adventures of four girls living in rural Japan, Miyauchi Renge the first grader, Ichijou Hotaru the fifth grader, Koshigaya Natsumi the seventh grader and Koshigaya Komari the eighth grader. And they are deserving of the article in front of their grade numbers as these four are the only girls in their school with the fifth and final student being Suguru, who I mentioned earlier.
So why this article? As I watched the first episode of NNB’s second season it quickly became apparent that it was being literal with its title Repeat. This is because all twelve episodes of the second season take place during the same year as the first season, meaning there should be an actual order for all 24 episodes that would allow you to watch them chronologically. The reason all of this is completely unnecessary stems from Non Non Biyori being a slice-of-life whose viewing order really doesn’t matter, as it will be highly enjoyable no matter how you watch it.
In putting this list together I made an assumption, specifically that each of the two seasons are in chronological order in and of themselves, so I just need to figure out how they all fit together. I don’t promise that my list is perfect as the episodes don’t always have specific dates that they reference and from what I could tell some of the episodes in the two seasons actually occur around each other, so for the most part the order is based off of when the episode begins. So with that I present to you the chronological order of Non Non Biyori and Non Non Biyori Repeat.
- I Became a First Grader - Season 2 Episode 1 - First Day of Class in April, Hotaru is not in school yet, but is shown moving into her new home at the end of the episode.
- A New Transfer Student Came - Season 1 Episode 1 - Hotaru’s first day in class, probably a day or two after the start of the new school year.
- We Went to the Candy Store - Season 1 Episode 2 - A day or two after Hotaru’s first day as Renge needs to ask Hotaru what to do with her hand-out after she completed it, something that would happen very early on in the school year.
- We Went to Look at the Stars - Season 2 Episode 2 - Most of the episode takes place a few day after Hotaru enters school, but the first scene is of Hotaru’s introduction on her first day. It also feels like the characters know each other a bit better than in Season 1 Episode 2.
- We Got Motivated During the Holiday Break - Season 2 Episode 3 - During Golden Week (April 29 - May 3).
- I Ran Away from Home with My Sister - Season 1 Episode 3 - Occurs during rice planting season which is the end of April to late June so exactly when is hard to pin down.
- I Made a Teru-teru Bouzu - Season 2 Episode 4 - During the rainy season which lasts from late Spring to early Summer. I placed it after Season 1 Episode 3 only because the window for when it could have happened is later than rice planting season, but there is so much over lap that it could easily be the other way around.
- We Ate Okonomiyaki - Season 2 Episode 5 - First week of Summer, so sometime between June 21st and June 28th.
- We Made Friends With Fireflies - Season 2 Episode 6 - Two days before Summer break.
- Summer Vacation Started - Season 1 Episode 4 - First day of Summer break.
- We Bravely Dove In - Season 2 Episode 7 - Sometime after Hotaru meets Hikage which she does in Season 1 Episode 4.
- I Pretended I Forgot My Swimsuit - Season 1 Episode 5 - Hikage appears to have returned to Tokyo by this point of Summer break, as she does not appear in a few scene where it would make sense that she would.
- I Became a Ghost and Tried Hard - Season 1 Episode 6 - During the later part of Summer break as the girls are working on getting their Summer homework done.
- My Rice Crackers Turned Into Curry - Season 1 Episode 7 - The first day back from Summer break.
- I Took Lunch Duty - Season 2 Episode 8 - Shortly after Summer break has ended. Probably a day or two after Season 1 Episode 7 as Natsumi is still complaining about having to go back to school. It can’t be the same day as Season 1 Episode 7 as Natsumi is not late and instead goes to school with everyone else.
- We Looked at the Moon Together - Season 2 Episode 9 - Around the festival/holiday Ohigan which occurs at the Autumnal Equinox.
- We Cooked Rice at School - Season 1 Episode 8 - Sometime in Autumn, going by the vegetables being harvested probably early October.
- We Tried Having a Cultural Festival - Season 1 Episode 9 - Cultural Festival are normally held around November 3rd, but this is not specified in the episode itself
- I Practiced Really Hard - Season 1 Episode 10 - This could be before Season 1 Episode 9 but I have placed it after because the leaves in the background shots appear to have turned more in this episode.
- I Became a Pampered Child - Season 2 Episode 11 - During Winter break sometime between Christmas and New Years.
- We Watched the First Sunrise of the Year - Season 1 Episode 10 - Occurs on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.
- We Made Snow Houses - Season 1 Episode 11 - During Winter, but after the third semester begins.
- Spring Came Again - Season 1 Episode 12 - Beginning of Spring, the cherry blossoms are just starting to bud.
- A Year Passed - Season 2 Episode 12 - Even though this episode has not yet aired I know it goes last because the preview showed the cherry blossoms in full bloom.
I was not able to include the OVA We’re Going to Okinawa because I have not watched it, so I don’t know when it occurs. If you have seen it and can place it in this list please comment below and I will add it. And once again, the order does not really matter, so go and enjoy this great show however you want.
Some Fun Facts:
Non Non Biyori takes place in a world with magic and the like as there is a spin-off 4-koma, Koakuma Meringue, that includes Renge’s older sister Hikage interacting with the daughter of the devil while going to high school in Tokyo. So one of its genres could be considered fantasy.
The show spans from April 2015 to April 2016 as during Season 2 Episode 11 we learn that it is currently the year of the sheep which started in February of 2015. So let’s add science fiction to its genre list as well, because it takes place in the future.
Oh and this too: Nyanpasu! More than 338 million presses!
You’re reading Ani-TAY, the anime-focused portion of Kotaku’s community-run blog, Talk Amongst Yourselves. Ani-TAY is a non-professional blog whose writers love everything anime related. Click here to check us out.